Mexican Casserole Recipe
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 400g Stewing beef
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Tin chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- ½ Tin refried beans
- 1 Tin kidney beans
- Handful fresh coriander
For a really tasty winter warmer with a spicy twist, try my Mexican casserole recipe made with beef.
- Peel the onion and slice into half-moons. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat some oil in a casserole dish (that has a lid) and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and fry until browned. Then stir in the flour.
- Stir in the cumin, cinnamon and chilli powder. Then add the tinned tomatoes, oregano, stock cube and some seasoning.
- Stir and replace the lid. Leave to simmer on a low heat on the stove or in a low oven for 1½ - 2 hours.
- When the meat is tender, stir in the refried beans and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid off.
- Then rinse the kidney beans, stir into the casserole and simmer for a final 10 minutes with the lid off.
- Once cooked, garnish with fresh coriander. Serve straight away and enjoy.
Mix things up by swapping the beef with pork or chicken for a great alternative.