Flaky Mince Pie Recipe
In my opinion it’s the crown jewels of Christmas - Mincemeat! Here’s my recipe for lovely Mince Pies with a really flaky pastry, stuffed full of mincemeat.
To make the pastry
- Sieve 200g of Plain Flour into a large mixing bowl, along with a pinch of Salt.
- Cube up 115g of Unsalted Butter and put it in the bowl with the Flour and Salt. Work the mixture between your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Separate out the Egg yolk into a small bowl and whisk it with 2tbsp of cold water (you can discard the egg white).
- Add the Egg yolk into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix briefly with a knife until the ingredients are combined.
- Knead the pastry dough into a ball with your hands, then wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Assembling the mince pies
- Grease 8 cups of a cake tin with a little butter, then flour a work surface to roll out the pastry to the thickness of just under a one pound coin.
- Use a cake cutter big enough to cut out 8 circles of pastry to fill each cup of the cake tin.
- Gently place the pastry circles into the cake tin, then fill each one two thirds full with mincemeat.
- Cut out 8 smaller circles from the remaining pastry then place them on top of each mince pie, wetting the rim of each pie with water to seal.
- With a knife, pierce a hole in the top to let out any hot air, then lightly sprinkle the Mince Pies with Caster Sugar.
- Place in the oven on 200c for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly. Dust with Icing Sugar then serve.
Check out even more of my classic Christmas Recipes to get you in the festive mood!