Basil Ice Cream Recipe
It may sound unusual, but basil offers a really refreshing flavour and makes my basil ice cream recipe taste great. It’s easy to make at home and cannot be made without and ice cream maker.
- Add the milk and basil to a food processor and blitz until the basil is chopped into small pieces.
- Pour into a saucepan over a low heat on the stove. Add the cream, stir, and bring up to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, pour the egg yolks and sugar into a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to beat together until thick and pale.
- When the milk and cream are simmering, pour the egg yolk and sugar in. Stir continuously for 15 minutes to thicken. Remain over a low heat so the eggs don’t scramble.
- When thickened, pour into a heatproof bowl and leave to chill completely in the fridge.
- When cool, pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker and set to churn until you’re happy with the consistency of the ice cream.
- Serve straight away or store in the freezer for up to a week.
Love basil? Check out all my other recipes that use this lovely herb.